A very simple, but delicious soup. You can practically add any vegetable you like, and substitute the rice for any other grain such as barley.
Simple Chicken & Rice SoupPrint Recipe
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs, diced into bite size pieces
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed and cut in bite size pieces
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 4 quarts low sodium chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 2 springs fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- Low sodium chicken base (optional, I use Better than Bouillon Organic low sodium brand for more concentrated chicken flavor)
In a large pot ( I used 5.5QT) bring the chicken stock to boil.
Place inside pot the chicken, celery, carrots, bay leaf and thyme. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
Add the rice , parsley, and green beans and chicken bouillon( start with 1 teaspoon and adjust for desired flavor)
Continue to simmer an additional 15 minutes until rice is al dente.
Season with salt and pepper to taste, remove bay leaf and....