It’s that time of the year again. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, the time for starting seeds has come again, and we are gladly prepared. This year I purchased seeds from Seed Savers catalog and I’m excited to see how the seeds will turn out.
You will needs the following supplies:
- Egg Cartons
- Seed Starting Soil Mix
- Seeds of your choice
- Permanent marker or Small craft sticks cut in half (to mark each cell with name of plant)
- Spray Bottle Filled with Water
- Fill each egg carton cell with soil and make an indentation with your finger
- Drop 2 seeds of same plant in each cell ( you put 2 seeds just in case one doesn’t germinate)
- Write on raised part of carton what type of plant will grow in each cell, or place half craft stick written with name of plant on the side of the egg carton cell
- Lightly cover the seeds with soil
- Place cartons on a tray and spray planted seeds throughly with water
- Place cartons near a sunny window sill
Make sure to keep soil moist but not soaking wet. Seeds should germinate in 1-2 weeks. When each seedling has 2 leaves on it, transplant them to your prepared garden beds. Kids have a lot of fun doing this and get a kick out of watching the seeds turn to plants, and hopefully pick and eat those delicious vegetables or herbs.