*Please note, the following post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.” Disclaimer
I found this recipe in a BHC magazine many years ago, but it was made with raspberries instead of strawberries. I’m not a big fan of raspberries because of the little seeds that get stuck in my teeth. I also modified the recipe and made it gluten-free(I use Bob’s Red Mill 1to1 gluten free all purpose flour) but you can use regular all purpose flour in the same quantity.
Gluten-Free Strawberry Bars
- 2 sticks unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour I use Bob's Red Mill 1to1
- 1/2 cup strawberry jam
- 2 cups fresh strawberries sliced
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp grated lemon peel
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Butter and line a 13x9 baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl beat the butter with a mixer until soft and fluffy
- To the butter add the brown sugar and salt. Beat until well incorporated
- Add the 2 cups of flour and beat with mixer until a cohesive dough forms
- Pinch chunks of dough and drop onto the baking sheet. Using your fingers which you can intermittently dip in the flour, press the dough into the pan until bottom is covered. Make it on the thinner side and as uniform as you can.
- Spread the jam evenly over the crust
- Place strawberry slices evenly on top of the jam
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract, granulated sugar, whole egg, egg yolk, and 1 Tbsp of flour until well blended and creamy
- Pour custard batter evenly over the strawberries, tilting the pan to cover them evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until barely set
- Cool for 1 hour, then chill for another 2 hours in the refrigerator before cutting into even squares
How can you make gluten free flour?
I buy it already made. Many brands carry it now at the supermarket
Strawberries and cream cheese, sounds delicious!😋
It is 😁
Yummy, love any dessert which includes strawberries 😀
Me too 🙂
They look most delicious and I can make mine with gluten. Thanks for sharing
Thank you 😊
This looks so good! Love the cream cheese layer, it goes to well with strawberries.
Thank you Ronit, it is delicious!