This is a simple but delicious Romanian meatball soup. Served with sour cream, hot peppers, and quick dinner rolls.
Meatball Soup ( Ciorba de Perisoare)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 12 cups water
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 3 springs fresh dill finely chopped
- 4 springs fresh parsley finely chopped
- 3-4 tbsp chicken base
- 1 lb ground turkey, beef, or pork
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup medium or long grain rice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- To a 5.5 QT pot on medium heat, add the olive oil
- Add onions and sauté 3 mins until fragrant
- Add the carrots, celery, bell pepper and continue sautéing for 5 more minutes, season with salt and pepper
- Add the water and tomato sauce. Bring mixture to a boil
- Add the chicken base and simmer for 15-20 minutes
- Add the parsley and dill and taste the broth, adjusting seasoning as necessary. Bring broth back to a boil
- In a medium bowl add the ground meat, egg, salt, pepper, and rice. Mix with your hands until everything is well incorporated
- Wet your hands and begin pinching small amounts of the meat mixture, rolling it between your palms and dropping it into the boiling broth. Continue with the rest of the meat.
- Let soup simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice inside the meatball is soft.
- Turn off heat, sprinkle fresh parsley on top of the soup. Serve with quick dinner rolls,sour cream, and hot peppers.