A fresh take on the original Crab Louie salad. I made this with grilled shrimp and fennel bulbs, and drizzled with a smoky thousand island dressing. I had this salad on a recent trip we took to Napa, and wanted to recreate it at home because it was so delicious and light compared to the Crab Louie. I changed up the dressing and made it low carb and slightly smoky compared to the typical thousand island dressing which I find heavy and overly sweet.
Perfect for summer, this salad is just as delicious the next day. Place the components in separate containers and just assemble it all together when you’re ready to eat.
Grilled Shrimp Louie with Smoky Thousand Island Dressing
Smoky Thousand Island Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sugar-free ketchup I used Heinz
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp erythritol or sugar free sweetener of your choice
- 1 tsp good quality mustard I used garlic aioli mustard from Trader Joes
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- salt and pepper to taste
- 20 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 4 cups mixed spring greens
- 12 cherry tomatoes halved
- 4 large eggs medium boiled(place eggs in boiling water and leave for 6 minutes, leave under cold running water to cool approx 3-5 mins.)
Grilled Fennel Bulb
- 1 fennel bulb cleaned and quartered
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Heat grill to high.
- Combine the mayo, ketchup, creme fraiche, lemon juice, erythritol, mustard, smoked paprika, salt and pepper, and liquid smoke in a small bowl and whisk until well combined. Chill in fridge until rest of salad is assembled, then you can adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Place shrimp in a bowl and drizzle with the olive oil. Top with the minced garlic, salt and pepper, smoked paprika and garlic powder. Toss gently to combine.
Grilled Fennel Bulb
- Wash bulb and cut green leafy top off it. Quarter the bulb and drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Assembling the Salad
- Turn heat on grill to medium, grill the fennel bulb away from direct heat 10-15 mins until tender,turning them over halfway through. Remove to a pan. Grill shrimp 5-7 mins, turning them over halfway through. Remove to a pan.Divide mixed greens to 4 plates, top each plate of greens with 5 grilled shrimp, 1 quarter fennel bulb, 1 boiled egg halved, few tomato halves and drizzle with the dressing.Enjoy!